Saturday, January 1, 2011

Wow, a whole new year!

Okay, so I know it's going to say that I posted this on new years day, but this is supposed to be my new years eve post. I tried to start this about three hours ago, but my dad had a stupid article that I just had to read about Detroit, Michigan that was like a million pages long, and it turned out to be an unreliable source anyway. There's two hours of my life wasted.

Anywho, it's new years, and my resolution is to blog every day. And follow the diet my dad is putting the family on. No really, I could deal with losing a few pounds. Or thirty (that's my goal, and it will put me at about 150.) Speaking of blogging every day, I'm sorry about missing yesterday. I had a practice meet for We The People, and my work called me in and had me there until 8:30 pm. I was exhausted by the time I got home and didn't even think about blogging until this morning.

So, you're probably wondering what We The People is, or as my dad (and any Star Trek fans) calls it, E Plebnista. As you might have guessed, it is a competition involving the United States Constitution. There are six teams in a school, each team corresponding to a unit in the text book we received. I am in team five, which is about the bill of rights. Their are three competitions each year: districts, state and nationals. For each competition, each team is given three questions. Each question has three parts that must be answered. For example, the question that I'm working on is. . .
* Should the right to association in civil society be considered an integral part of the constitution even though their is no reference to such a right in the first amendment?
*In what ways does the right to assemble and petition reinforce and enhance the first amendment's protection of political rights?
*Under what circumstances, if any, should the right to freedom of assembly be limited?
The first question is the main part of the question. The other two parts of the question have to be linked to the main question in your response. Which, by the way, is a speech that can be a maximum of four minutes long. Then, the judges will question us for ten minutes.

Sounds hard right? It's supposed to be. The questions are designed to be at the level of a third to fourth year college class on the government. It took me forever to truly understand what the right to association is. Let me tell you, it's not as simple as you think. Oh, and I forgot the best part: we have to use court cases and current events as sources. It is frickin difficult to try to read the opinions (because you can't just read the majority opinion) of a court case to try to find the pertinent information to a point that you're trying to make.

Anyway, I'm doing this whole competition not only because it's required for the class, but because it counts as my senior project as well. And that's one less things to have to worry about and find time to do. Which I appreciate immensely. And of course, only one person from my group showed up to the practice. Big suprise. The people in my group are is unreliable. Except Naomi. She's pretty cool.

It is now officially past one and I am exausted. Thank you to my one follower, and I will blog again later.

No comments:

Post a Comment